In a world characterized by constant change and the shifting nature of things, why stick to the same health insurance for years? Constant change brings the facility of updating the news trends and facilities. Then why settle for less when you can select medical insurance that suits all your changing needs?
This can be done by porting to a new health insurance. But how can this be done, and how beneficial will it be? Read till the end to answer all your queries that are slowly crawling up in your mind right now! Are you excited? Let’s dive in by knowing what is porting in the medical insurance policy.
What Is Porting In Health Insurance?
In the world of health insurance, porting refers to the process of transmuting an existing medical insurance policy from the current insurer to a new one but retaining all the benefits of the coverage. Therefore, individuals holding a medical insurance plan can switch to the new insurer without losing any previous benefits enjoyed by them. They get the utmost flexibility in selecting a new insurance provider who would be more suitable for the changing requirements, preferences, or needs of the existing policyholder.
How To Port Medical Policy Online?
The emergence of online platforms has made things extremely easy for people, where they can access various facilities from the comfort of their home. This is not an exception for porting health insurance policies. To port your health insurance policy via online mode, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Start the procedure by finding an insurance provider who offers better medical benefits than the previous ones and suits all your current needs. You can also take help from a professional advisor or carry out extensive research yourself.
- Fill out the application form online for the new policy.
- You will receive the forms of proposal and portability from the new insurance service provider.
- After receiving the form, you must fill in all the personal details and your existing policy particulars.
- After this, a process of verification and review will take place where your eligibility will be considered for the new medical plan. Ensure that you have provided correct information; otherwise, it will lead to the rejection of the approval.
- On approval, both insurance companies will exchange all their required details.
- The new provider will send you the final proposal.
What Are The Various Factors That Affects The Eligibility Of Health Insurance Porting?
While porting a health insurance policy, there are various factors that affect the eligibility of your health insurance porting; all these are listed below:
Extra Payment Of Premium:
During the procedure of changing your old insurer, you might need to make extra payments for the premium. This is because the new insurer may entertain different charges for a similar policy.
Age of The Insured:
Age is a crucial factor that must be taken seriously while considering the transfer of health insurance plans. You must be aware that health insurance premiums increase with the increase in age of the insurance holder. Sometimes age also serves as a reason for the rejection of the proposal by the new insurer.
Considering these crucial factors before porting health insurance plans will help one to make sound decisions and secure financial stability in the long run. Some might get tempted by lower premiums, but finding the cause behind it and carrying out deep research to ensure whether the policy offers optimum coverage is essential.
Documents That Are Necessary For Porting A Health Insurance Policy
The documents required for porting health insurance plans may differ from one insurance provider to another. But in common, the documents that are required are listed below:
- Proof of identity
- Address proof
- Form of proposal
- IRDAI form of portability
- Records of the insured’s medical history
- Medical policy
Points To Remember Before Opting To Port Your Health Insurance Policy
There are several points that you must keep in mind while opting to port your medical policy. These are:
- Make sure your insurance policy offers all daycare procedures and hospitalization without any sub-limits.
- Be careful about waiting periods in case of a new medical plan. The waiting period can vary from a minimum of 30 days to a maximum of four years for several pre-existing health conditions.
- If the primary purpose behind porting your insurance is to cut down on premiums, go through all the inclusions and coverage offered by the policy to avoid future regrets.
- Decide whether you want to request an increase in the insured sum. However, this might not always be approved.
- Last but not least, check the medical network that comes under the policy and the procedure for claim and reimbursement. Ensure that both processes are hassle-free to reduce financial stress during an unexpected medical emergency.
To sum up, the facility of porting the existing health insurance offers an individual the utmost freedom and flexibility to make adjustments to their evolving needs and choices without sacrificing all the benefits provided by the previous policy.
Therefore, an individual is free to explore a wide range of options and easily choose a new health protection. Every individual’s future and health deserve the best, and porting insurance policy makes this possible!