Intrauterine Insemination or IUI procedure is a kind of artificial infertility treatment that has become increasingly popular amongst people. This process involves directly placing the sperm into a uterus (closer to the egg) when the woman is ovulating. Since only healthy sperms are selected and cleansed, it increases the chances of fertilizing the egg and helps the couples that were having difficulty getting pregnant.
If you have been thinking about getting an IUI procedure done, then you should know about these five important things:
Who Can Opt For IUI Procedure
IUI infertility treatment is recommended for:
- Couples having fertility issues or unexplained infertility
- Females that have mild endometriosis
- Couples of the same gender who are want a baby
- Couples who are unable to consummate due to any physical disabilities or injuries
- Couples suffering from any medical issues such as HIV infection
What to Expect During the Procedure
IUI procedure is relatively painless and noninvasive and does not require medication in most cases. It is usually done when the woman is naturally ovulating. Sometimes, it is combined with ovarian stimulation drugs such as clomiphene citrate (Clomid), hCG (human Chorionic Gonadotropin), and FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) to prompt the ovaries to mature and release multiple healthier eggs, thereby, increasing the chances of insemination.
IUI procedure is usually conducted between the 12th and 16th day of the natural menstrual period or after checking the maturity of the egg after an ultrasound scan. Within 24 to 40 hours of HCG injection, healthy and motile sperms of the male partner (or in some cases, of the third-party sperm donor) are inserted into the uterus, near the fallopian tube using a catheter through the cervix. After the treatment, a rest of two weeks is recommended after which the woman can take a pregnancy test.
Complications of IUI Procedure
IUI procedure involves placing the prepared sperms into the uterus of a woman naturally. So there are chances of some complications in this infertility treatment. There is a risk of infection in the uterus or in the fallopian tubes by the toxins, or bacterial transmission while placing the sperms, or even multiple pregnancies. That is why, it is advisable to consult a qualified doctor and get this procedure done only at a reputed clinic that prioritizes the hygiene. In case of multiple pregnancies, the mother can face serious health issues while the babies could be born premature. So, consistent support and guidance from a qualified doctor is essential for the IUI procedure.
Cost of IUI Infertility Treatment and Success Rate
IUI procedure is more popular than other treatments like IVF because it is safer, cheaper, and an effective treatment method for infertility. The total cost of the treatment for one cycle of IUI is around Rs.6000 to Rs.10,000 (including medicines, injections, and tests) depending on the facilities of the clinic in most cities in the country. But, this amount may increase if the sperm from a third-party is required for the procedure.
The success rate of this treatment is much higher in younger women when compared to those who have already crossed 35 years of age.
Some Helpful Tips for Successful IUI
- Avoid any kind of stress as it can reduce the chances of conceiving.
- Stick to a healthy diet and stay active during the day.
- Focus on light exercises, such as, yoga, swimming, and walking and avoid strenuous physical activities that may cause uterine contractions
- Avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol
- Try to limit the intake of caffeine as much as possible
- Drink a lot of water every day to stay hydrated and free of toxins
- Consult your doctor on the use of fertility drugs as they may help in increasing the success rate
For couples hoping to be parents, it is important to learn about the working of the IUI infertility treatment, the related complications, and ways to enhance the success rate of the treatment. If ignored, it can lead to unnecessary health issues and loos of money.